The Ultimate Potato Gratin
Makes 6-8 Servings
Adapted From: Tyler Florence, Food Network
1 pound bacon
2 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 bunch fresh green onions, finely chopped to 1/4 cup
2 pounds baking potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8-inch), see Cook's note*
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 cups grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cut the bacon into 1/2-inch chunks. Place a skillet over medium-low heat and fry the bacon, until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
3. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 2-quart ovenproof casserole dish.
4. In a large bowl, combine the 2 ½ cups of cream, 1 cup of Parmesan, bacon, garlic, green onions, and the potatoes. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
5. Using your hands, place a layer of potatoes in the casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan and repeat with 2 more layers. Pour remaining contents over potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.Cover dish with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove lid and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Leave for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with fresh chives.
*Cook's Note: Slice the potatoes immediately before using so they don't turn brown.