Monday, January 24, 2011

Shrimp Po'Boys

My VERY FIRST PASSION believe it or not is NOT blogging. It's cooking and baking... Blogging ranks up there pretty high on the list but the passion to create yummy food supercedes the desire to blog BY FAR. With that said... I'm EAGER to share tonight's menu...

Keep in mind that if you follow the sales & shop smart... you can feed your family yummy yummy food and still stay within your budget... Happening RIGHT NOW... Tops has Shrimp on Sale... $6.99 for a 26-30 Count Bag... and at the Foodland you can find Shrimp starting at $5.29...

Now with that said... recipes are variable... While my recipe calls for medium sized shrimp I'm not going to cringe at using the Extra Large Shrimp that are on sale... I'll use those instead. My recipe calls for Large Eggs but I bought the medium eggs that were on sale so I'll use them... I have Peanut Oil... I'll use that instead of vegetable oil (I like it's flavor better anyway)

Shrimp Po'Boys with Pickles & Homemade Potato Chips

Ingredients:
  • Vegetable Oil, for frying
  • 1 Cup-All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Tablespoons Paula Deen House Seasoning, See Recipe Below
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup Hot Sauce
  • Medium Shrimp Peeled & Deveined
  • Hoagie Rolls; Split, Buttered & Lightly Toasted
  • Tartar Sauce ~ Use the Homemade Recipe Below or Store Bought (your preference)
  • Shredded Lettuce
  • Sliced Tomato
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Garlic Powder

Heat Oil to 375 degrees.

Place the flour in a bowl & add house seasoning. In another bowl beat the eggs and add the hot sauce. Dredge shrimp into egg mixture then into flour mixture. Drop into oil (1) one at a time. Fry until light brown ~ do not overcook. Drain on a paper towel or wire rack. Immediately season with salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste.

To assemble sandwich:

Spread both sides of roll with tartar sauce. Place shredded lettuce & sliced tomato on the the bottom half of the roll. Place shrimp on top.. Time to EAT!

House Seasoning:

  • 1 Cup Salt
  • 1/4 Cup Black Pepper
  • 1/4 Cup Garlic Powder

Store in an airtight container for future use!

Tartar Sauce

  • 1/2 Cup Sweet Pickles, Chopped or Sweet Relish (Use what you have on hand)
  • 1 Cup Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (I prefer Miracle Whip but again use your preference OR what you have on hand)

Combine the Chopped Sweet Pickles (or Sweet Relish) & Mayo (or Miracle Whip) and mix until combined.

Cooking on a budget is all about being versatile! This yummy meal will feed my family of 3 for less than $10! If I can get a picture before they disapper I will update this post...

Money Saving Tip: Instead of buying Hoagie Rolls buy a loaf of French Bread and make one big Po'Boy ~ just cut it into serving size pieces... That's around another $1 in your pocket. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment