Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Flat Iron Steaks & Pia's Bacon Cupcakes

For a moment I was a window licker on a short bus... Really, I had full intentions of a little "get away" ~ a little vacation reading blogs and catching up with everyone... until I came across those cupcakes... then it was all over.  I made a bee line for the grocery store and a BIG MESS in my kitchen. 

But first, the main course.  Flat Iron Steak and believe me when I say that persuading my husband to eat anything but those top of the line $10 ~ $20 a pound steaks wasn't an easy task.  But he is now a convert... and I get off REALLY CHEAP without sacrificing flavor or tenderness... and this is how...

1 lb Flat Iron Steak

Marinade
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
1/4 Teaspoon each Salt, Pepper and Ginger
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a large ziplock baggie add steak, refrigerate and marinate for 8 hours... 
Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before grilling.  Meanwhile, preheat grill to about 400 degrees (high) ~ Grill Steak on each side 3-4 minutes.  From what I've read this steak it's best if you let rest at least 5 minutes to distribute the juices and cut into 1 inch strips across the grain at an angle.  I did just that and I ended up with a tender, juicy melt in your mouth steak dinner for a family of 3 ~ and even better ~ a steak that cost less than $4.00! 
I made 12 cupcakes verses Pia's 16 ~ I don't think it says so in Pia's blog but I poured the batter into the paper's and then added a teaspoon of bacon on top of each one... I did have bacon leftover ~ next time I'll use 3 slices instead of 6 ~ For the caramel sauce I used 1/8 cup milk and 24 caramels and baked at 350 for 18 minutes... this is how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment